Keep it Kailua strongly opposes Hawaii Senate Bill 2927. We consider it an insidious attack on open government. SB 2927 could exempt development projects from public scrutiny and accountability. It shuts out the public by allowing developers with projects near a transit station (rail or bus) free rein with numerous exemptions and minimal public input.
It appears SB2927 would:
- Circumvent county general plans, development and sustainable community plans.
- Exempt projects from zoning regulations, impact fees, and parking standards.
- Diminishes opportunities for public feedback.
- Exempt projects on state or county land from Hawaii Revise Statutes Chapter 343 environmental review.
- Exempt development from all fees associated with land development.
- Provide indemnity for any county, its officials, or employees for actions taken regarding exceptional planning projects (no government official will held responsible for causing harm).
What this could mean for Kailua is a free-pass for a developer to build anything they want within a quarter mile of a bus station in Kailua. That could possibly include high-rises or hotels!
Keep it Kailua believes SB 2927 violates due process, transparency, and most importantly public input regarding the future of our community.
Please call or email both the Hawaii House and Senate representatives and ask them to oppose SB2927
E-MAIL AND CALL ALL HOUSE MEMBERS BY CLICKING ON THE FOLLOWING: http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/members/legislators.aspx?chamber=H
E-MAIL AND CALL ALL SENATORS GO TO: http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/members/legislators.aspx?chamber=S