File a Complaint

A resident or visitor can file a complaint with the City and County of Honolulu Department of Planning & Permitting (DPP) for illegal visitor accommodations in residential zoning. The complaints can be anonymous for initiating the investigation, but if you submit evidence, you may need to give your contact information in order to testify if there is an appeal request by the violators.

Submit complaints by calling the DPP at (808) 768-8159 or (808) 768-8110 and requesting an illegal B&B lodge or TVU investigation.

Or e-mail the DPP at , and CC: , and

Or write the Department of Planning & Permitting
Residential Code Enforcement Branch
650 So. King St, Honolulu, HI 96813

Or fax (808) 768-6743

Prior to filing a complaint, you will want to confirm the property does not have a non-conforming use certificate (NUC) to operate a vacation rental or B&B lodge. You can find this out by reviewing the City’s official list of vacation rentals and B&B lodge with NUC’s (see link below):

For submitting evidence, it is useful to submit a log of transient visitors and their rental vehicle license plates that demonstrates less than 30 day stays.

You can also submit testimony of any conversations you may have had with the guests that validate they compensated the property owner for less than 30 day stays.

We recommend you submit a complaint about “on-going” illegal TVU/B&B activities of providing a dwelling for compensation to transient occupants for stays of less than 30 days in residential zoning and not just a single occurrence.

State in your complaint that any evidence provided should be utilized as a preponderance of evidence to demonstrate the “on-going” illegal activities and does not “only” represent a single infraction.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *