- Stops illegal vacation rentals and unscrupulous Realtors from creating “Fake” 30-day leases by redefining short-term rentals 180 days or less.
- Allows long-term tenants to continue to rent month to month.
- Raises fines from $10,000 to $25,000 per violation and per day that violation continues.
- Only allows “new” short-term rentals in or near resort zone areas like Waikiki, Ko Olina and Turtle Bay.
- All existing short-term rentals with a Non-conforming Use certificate since 1987 can continue to operate and apply for new permits.
- Creates a special fund to specifically improve the City’s enforcement efforts against illegal vacation rentals.
- All legal vacation rentals advertisement must include a registration number and their TMK number. Illegal vacation rentals will be removed from all advertisements or face significant fines.
- BOTTOM LINE: Illegal vacation rentals will either shut down or face significant fines. Oahu housing supply for residents will increase and our residential neighbors and communities will stay residential in their character!
Please support the DPP’s draft bill by submitting supportive testimony to the Planning Commission by
1) Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
2) Fax: 768-6743, or
3) Mail: Planning Commission, 650 South King Street, 7th Floor, Honolulu, Hawaii 96813, and must be received by 4:30 p.m., Tuesday, August 31, 2021.
Attend in-person at Mission Memorial Auditorium, Mission MemorialBuilding, 550 South King Street, Honolulu, Hawaii
DATE: Wednesday, September 1, 2021
TIME: 11:30 a.m.
or via a computer: (Please mute your devices except to testify) at:
Number: 123 096 9887
Meeting Password: dpp1